Best 990 Resources on the Web
If you’re struggling with IRS Form 990, here are some websites that will help clear up the form and the process behind completing it.
The IRS has a wealth of information concerning all things 990. They realize that filing can be a complicated process, and provide a great deal of resources to help combat that. You’ll find:
- glossaries that define the terms they use
- info on configuring gross receipts
- a breakdown of information by what type of organization you are (i.e
church, political, private, charitable, etc)
- They also offer live and virtual training
Hosted by The Foundation Center, grantspace.org provides self-service tools to aid nonprofits build strong organizations.
They’ve compiled a great list of resources that cover a range of topics concerning the 990 form. From walking you through the form step by step to tax basics for staying exempt, their knowledge base and web resources can be a great help.
You’re probably familiar with utilizing Guidestar to post your nonprofits financial information and copies of your 990 filings. However, there’s much more they have to offer. It’s a great resource for:
- Viewing other filings: this can be a great way to acquaint yourself with the form and how it is completed.
- A detailed account of form 990:“highlights of IRS Form 990” explains each portion of the 990 form in detail. It makes the 990 form easy to understand, and informs you which portions are the most important.
These guys wrote a great “stress free filing guide” that provides some excellent information. Their best tip seems pretty simple, “Before you get to the form, make sure you have important information readily available, such as your Employer Identification Number (EIN), your tax period and your Group Exemption Number (GEN).”
Here you’ll find an awesome resource library filled with things concerning nonprofit law. It’s a great place to get started if you have questions regarding governance, your board, and other nonprofit issues. When it comes to 990 information, they offer:
- A compilation of initial and annual state and federal filing requirements.
- In depth advice on maintaining your tax exempt status
Renata Poe Massie, Content Creator for Jitasa